I am an Associate Professor at the School of Information Sciences (the iSchool) at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, where I lead the Social Computing lab. We focus on Human-Centered Data Science, Social Computing/ Computational Social Science, and Responsible Computing. We integrate and advance methods from network science, natural language processing and machine learning with theories from the social sciences and humanities to study interaction-based and information-based systems. Currently, we are working on projects related to 1) studying consequences of biases in data, technology and human decision making, 2) validating classic social science theories in contemporary settings, 3) impact assessment, 4) crisis informatics, and 5) data governance/ FATE (fairness, accountability, transparency, ethics). I got my PhD from Carnegie Mellon, School of Computer Science.
News from our lab
- September 25-27, 2019: Jana giving a keynote talk at Conference of the Academy of Sociology on Digital Societies
- September 16, 2019: Shub and Jana teaching tutorial on “Hands on advanced machine learning for information extraction from tweets --- tasks, data, and open source tools” at the ACM Hypertext 2019
- August 27-30, 2019: Workshop on Social Influence at ASONAM '19 paper -- Avram MV, Mishra S, Parulian N, & Diesner J (2019) Adversarial perturbations to manipulate the perception of power and influence in networks
- July 24, 2019: Shub teaching tutorial on "Machine Learning for Information Extraction" at Research Park (9am-1pm, EnterpriseWorks Room 130)
- July 20, 2019: Jana giving a keynote talk "Responsible Social Computing: Validating Network Data and Theory" at International Conference on Computational Social Science (IC2S2)
- July 20, 2019: IC2S2 presentation: Mishra S, Fegley BD, Diesner J, & Torvik VI (2019) Self-citation is the hallmark of productive authors, of any gender; based on our related paper in PLoS ONE
- New resource released: Enhanced Morality Lexicon - an enhanced version of the original Moral Foudation Dictionary, which we syntactically disambiguated, and expanded in size and scope. Related paper from WASSA Workshop @ NAACL: Rezapour R., Shah S., & Diesner J. (2019) Enhancing the measurement of social effects by capturing morality.
- New journal paper: Kim J, & Diesner J (2019) Formational bounds of link prediction in collaboration networks. Scientometrics