I am an Associate Professor at the School of Information Sciences (the iSchool) at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, where I lead the Social Computing lab. We focus on Human-Centered Data Science, Social Computing/ Computational Social Science, and Responsible Computing. We integrate and advance methods from network science, natural language processing and machine learning with theories from the social sciences and humanities to study interaction-based and information-based systems. Currently, we are working on projects related to 1) studying consequences of biases in data, technology and human decision making, 2) validating classic social science theories in contemporary settings, 3) impact assessment, 4) crisis informatics, and 5) data governance/ FATE (fairness, accountability, transparency, ethics). I got my PhD from Carnegie Mellon, School of Computer Science.
News from our lab
- Nov 3-7: EMNLP-IJCNLP '19 paper by Jiang M et al.: TIGEr: Text-to-Image Grounding for Image Caption Evaluation
- Oct 22: Jana giving an invited talk at the CIRI Webinar: Supporting Practitioners and Analysts in Making Decisions about Data Analytics to Study Humanitarian Assistance and Disaster Relief Operations
- Oct 1-4: Jana and Shadi Rezapour at Grace Hopper, Shadi presenting poster on our impact assessment research
- Aug 24: Congrats to Shadi Rezapour who got accepted as a mentor for the Undergraduate Research Apprenticeship Program @ Illinois (URAP@Illinois)
- Aug 22: Congrats to Garrick Sherman who successfully defended his PhD thesis, “Document expansion and language model re-estimation for information retrieval"