I am an Associate Professor at the School of Information Sciences (the iSchool) at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, where I lead the Social Computing lab. We focus on Human-Centered Data Science, Social Computing/ Computational Social Science, and Responsible Computing. We integrate and advance methods from network science, natural language processing and machine learning with theories from the social sciences and humanities to study interaction-based and information-based systems. Currently, we are working on projects related to 1) studying consequences of biases in data, technology and human decision making, 2) validating classic social science theories in contemporary settings, 3) impact assessment, 4) crisis informatics, and 5) data governance/ FATE (fairness, accountability, transparency, ethics). I got my PhD from Carnegie Mellon, School of Computer Science.
News from our lab
- Fall 2022: "Responsible Data Science and AI" speaker series and graduate course (syllabus coming soon)
- Sunbelt 2022: Dinh, L., Pingjing, Y., & Diesner, J. (2022). From plan to practice: Interorganizational response networks extraction from emergency management plans, situational reports, and tweets about hurricane events.
- IC2S2 2022: Han, K., Rezapour, R., Nakamura, K., Devkota, D., Miller, D., & Diesner, J. (2022). An Expert-in-the-Loop Method for Domain-Specific Document Categorization Based on Small Annotated Data.
- IC2S2 2022: Dinh, L., Yang, P., & Diesner, J. (2022). From plan to practice: Interorganizational response networks extraction from emergency management plans, situational reports, and tweets about hurricane events.
- JCDL 2022: Hu, Y., LeBlanc, Z., Diesner, J., Underwood, T., Layne-Worthey, G., & Downie, J.S. (2022). Complexities Associated with User-generated Book Reviews in Digital Libraries: Temporal, Cultural, and Political Case Studies
- New collaborative grant for "Assessing Impact Patterns in Research Texts Applying Corpus Driven Methods"
- New collaborative grant "Health Data Literacy Ambassadors" with Rachel Magee and Cathy Blake