I am an Associate Professor at the School of Information Sciences (the iSchool) at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, where I lead the Social Computing lab. We focus on Human-Centered Data Science, Social Computing/ Computational Social Science, and Responsible Computing. We integrate and advance methods from network science, natural language processing and machine learning with theories from the social sciences and humanities to study interaction-based and information-based systems. Currently, we are working on projects related to 1) studying consequences of biases in data, technology and human decision making, 2) validating classic social science theories in contemporary settings, 3) impact assessment, 4) crisis informatics, and 5) data governance/ FATE (fairness, accountability, transparency, ethics). I got my PhD from Carnegie Mellon, School of Computer Science.
News from our lab
- New journal paper: Parulian, N., Lu, T., Mishra, S., Avram, M., & Diesner, J. (2020). Effectiveness of the execution and prevention of metric-based adversarial attacks on social network data. Information, 11(6), 306.
- Poster and Paper presentations at IC2S2: Please find the videos and schedule for our presentations from here.
- Talk at Sunbelt 2020: Rezapour, R., Park, J., & Diesner, J. (2020). Detecting characteristics of cross-cutting language networks on social media.
- New workshop paper: Han, K., Yang, P., Mishra, S., & Diesner, J. (2020). WikiCSSH: Extracting Computer Science Subject Headings from Wikipedia. In Proceedings of Scientific Knowledge Graphs Workshop co-located with the 24th International Conference on Theory and Practice of Digital Libraries (TPDL), held online.
- Congrats to Ly Dinh being awarded a Grace Hopper Celebration Scholarship.
- Apr 9, 2020: Congrats to Shadi Rezapour for successfully defending her PhD proposal, "Text Mining for Social Good: Context-aware Measurement of Social Impact and Effects Using Natural Language Processing".